Search #TriviaTuesday on Twitter and you may or may not be surprised as to how many organizations and people engage with users through question-answer posts using the #TriviaTuesday hashtag (a phrase to link tweets and stories). In this blog post, composed on a #WackyWednesday, I want to share some of the history-themed #TriviaTuesday questions and answers to begin to analyze and think about the way that history is presented online, and specifically through social media like Twitter.

7 replies to the question, 1 retweet of the question
1 retweet of the answer, 2 ‘favourites’ of the answer
No replies, retweets or activity on the question or answer
Focusing on these two examples, there are a few things that
I want to draw out and that will ultimately (I hope) be topics of further
conversation and future blog posts right here.
These two examples both originate from within the federal government
agency, Parks Canada. Although these two
examples don’t seem to be extraordinary, @ParksCanada was able to garner
attention from their wider community and was able to engage other users and not
only those who already knew the answer but also followers who were interested
enough to investigate the question for themselves.
What I find really interesting is that @ParksCanada didn’t
use any additional hashtags or @ mentions (other than of themselves) to
potentially attract more attention to the question in the first place. This of course in comparison to
@HistoricPlaces who used two additional hashtags in the answer, citing the
names of the two cities involved, and that of the province and then an @
mention of the city itself in the answer.
So perhaps the ‘answer’ here is that quality is better than
quantity, and that maximizing user engagement and visibility, is not always
best done through (relatively) complex questions, but rather through simple
questions that can be easily searched through search engines like Google or on
the organization’s own website.
So then, how do users like @ParksCanada and @HistoricPlaces
communicate a deeper message than the simple question-answer example from the
@ParksCanada user generates? Do we
believe that those who are truly interested in knowing more will actually read
an entire webpage or article on the topic?
Interestingly enough, @ParksCanada does not provide a link to any
further information in their answer whereas @HistoricPlaces does.
The advantage I see in this for @HistoricPlaces is that even
if no one dares to answer ‘out loud’ in the Twitterverse, they may still click
on the link and in this case, are presented with a beautifully edited and
presented pdf document from the Government of Nova Scotia website that is only
3 pages, 2 of text/image combination.
This of course, all depends on the end goal. Was the question posed by @ParksCanada simply
a ‘filler’ question for over the holidays?
Was less thought put into this particular question/answer combination
than others? And what is the goal of
@HistoricPlaces? If it is to send users
to their own website then they have failed in that the link that is included is
to a third-party website, not even one within the larger organization that is
Parks Canada.
As a student, I would appreciate the link that I could click
on and subsequently learn more As a bit
of a history nerd I am perhaps a little biased in this sense and would like to
hear from those of you who are perhaps not as keenly interested in the past or
even very well acquainted with how it’s presented online.
I think that my next blog post will look at hashtags more specifically
to think about their use in the presentation of history. I will probably look at hashtags that are
used in conjunction with historical fact but that are also trending and at the
consequences of this. I hope this has
all made sense and that you’ll come back for more musings in the near future!

No comments:
Post a Comment