Friday, 11 January 2013

Historical Fact vs. Entertainment Value


Have you ever wondered if the historical story told in a Hollywood film or Historica-Dominion Institute Heritage Minute has been exaggerated?  Chances are that it probably has been.  This is something that I, as a presenter and observer, of history through social media, am particularly interested in.  Throughout this blog I hope to explore some examples of the good, the not so good and potentially propose some strategies that will help other ‘Twitterhistorians’ and those like us on other media to tell the stories that we hold near and dear without need or cause for exaggeration simply to gain the interest of the public.

As this blog post is serving as a simple introduction to this ‘enjeux’ I propose to present to you several examples of feeds that I have observed and analyzed in the past, and that I hope to continue working on throughout this course and into the future.  My medium of choice at the moment is Twitter, but as many of these ‘Twitterhistorians’ also rely on other digital resources the chances are that the stories will often take their readers far from the confines of 140 characters.

I am very interested in what I refer to as ‘real-time’ tweeting of historical events.  There are many ‘Twitterhistorians’ who tell historical stories in the present as if the event is occurring at the same time as the other events and stories that are being told on users’ Twitter feeds.  It may sound complicated but once you’ve had a chance to explore some of these feeds I feel like you’ll come to understand the concept and ultimately, the underlying tension that is one of my main concerns and interests.

1.     The first set of users that I want to introduce you to are currently ‘real-time’ tweeting the War of 1812.  Quite popular in this time and area (I write from Ontario) with each event being tweeted about ‘exactly’ 200 years after it happened.
a.     @Warof1812Live
b.     @1813now (was @1812now)
c.      @1812_Real_Time
2.      This particular user is ‘real-time’ tweeting World War II.  This project has been running for over a year now and was my introduction to this idea
a.     @RealTimeWWII

There are other groups who tweet about history using cues like ‘TDIH’ (This Day in History) etc. but it is those who tweet about history as if it is happening in ‘this’ current time that interest me most.  That said, the former group interests me as they often rely on anniversaries and links to historical figures, places and events to cue their messaging – a social media strategy that has its pros and cons.  I’ll also spend some time investigating this and looking at how different groups present the same historical information in different ways and look at user response.

I welcome all comments (hopefully positive!) and constructive criticism as I may some day take this work to another level and hope to have a really solid foundation.  I also realize, especially upon reading your short introductions (of those of you also in the Algonquin course), that not everyone interested in social media strategies is into history so I’d be keen to hear how strategies may differ or align despite different goals.

Cheers,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment